Honey Wheat Bread
By: Chef Joseph M. Leonardi, CMC, AAC
Yield: 4- 1# loaves
2# 4oz- water, room temperature
1oz- dry yeast
8oz- starter (Make the day before, see below)
2# 1oz- bread flour
1# 12oz- whole wheat flour
1 1/4oz- salt
Method of Preparation:
1. For your starter, mix equal parts of bread flour and water together. THIS SHOULD BE DONE THE DAY BEFORE YOU PRODUCE YOUR BREAD. Cover and leave refrigerated.
2. Add water and yeast into the mixer and combine together using the dough hook.
3. Add honey and molasses and continue to mix.
4. Add starter and dry ingredients and mix to form a ball.
5. Remove from mixer
6. Portion into 1 pound loaves and let proof until double in size (place in a warm environment and cover with a towel)
7. Place in a preheated 380 degree oven and bake for about 1 hour. Take the temperature of the bread, it should read about 190 degrees.
8. Remove from oven and place on a baking rack, brush with honey and melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt.
Recipes that the whole family could enjoy...hand crafted by a master chef, but easy enough for anyone to do